Search the Archives

» Forum Index » PLAYING » Topic: Jamming

nosaxyet
08/10/08 3:06:26 PM
Jamming
I'm keen to play with some other musicians and there are three jam sessions within pretty easy reach of where I live in Milton Keynes. Has anyone attended any of these or can you suggest any alternatives please?

Winslow, Bucks Jam session

Woburn, Beds Jam session

Walnut Tress/Blisworth. Northants Jam session

TIA.


The

_________________
cheers

Ian

Alto: Keilwerth SX90R, Hanson SA-8S, Link Tone Edge 6, ZZ 2.5


mfox
08/10/08 7:19:13 PM
Re: Jamming
just go down get a feel of the place speak to the person who looks in charge and your away... good luck

_________________
Tenor selmer mk6
Alto Yamaha customZ
Bari Yamaha
Sop Yamaha

mfox
08/10/08 7:19:16 PM
Re: Jamming
just go down get a feel of the place speak to the person who looks in charge and your away... good luck

_________________
Tenor selmer mk6
Alto Yamaha customZ
Bari Yamaha
Sop Yamaha

linky_lee
12/10/08 8:18:40 PM
Re: Jamming
go to them all and see which ones have a nicer feel, which are more welcoming. Also see which ones suit your timetable better.
Another thing to look out for is how popular it is with others, a well established jam session will provide more of a resource than something relatively new. You'll also get links to other musical things from them.

_________________
Started Dec 2004
Soprano: Borgani (1950's), Yam 4C, RJS 3M
Alto: Yamaha YAS-62 (1983) or Martin Handcraft (1925), Yani 6, ZZ 3
Tenor: Walstein Phosphor Bronze (2007 prototype), Vandoren T75, ZZ 3

paulyt
14/10/08 06:21:23 AM
Re: Jamming
You don't say if these are Jazz, blues or general open mic jam sessions. Beware of the Blues sessions because, generally speaking, it will be populated by guitarists who seem to go out of their way to always play too loudly! You won't be able to hear yourself!
Some of the people from the BR went to one, like this, in Bishops Stortford. Semiquaver and Bobby G attended once and I went with Bobby G on another occasion. The house band seemed to delight in drowning out the "stranger on the sax". Poor old Bobby nearly collapsed his lungs just trying to hear what he was doing.
I'm sure they're not all like this though!
PaulyT

_________________
There is nothing that is made by one man that another man cannot make more cheaply and sell for less money. People that buy based on price alone are that other mans natural prey.

nosaxyet
14/10/08 10:54:09 AM
Re: Jamming
Linky wrote:
go to them all and see which ones have a nicer feel, which are more welcoming. Also see which ones suit your timetable better.
Another thing to look out for is how popular it is with others, a well established jam session will provide more of a resource than something relatively new. You'll also get links to other musical things from them.


Thanks for the advice. I went to the Woburn session last week - didn't play - but enjoyed myself.

Hoping to get to the others soon.


_________________
cheers

Ian

Alto: Keilwerth SX90R, Hanson SA-8S, Link Tone Edge 6, ZZ 2.5


nosaxyet
14/10/08 12:01:32 PM
Re: Jamming
PaulyT wrote:
You don't say if these are Jazz, blues or general open mic jam sessions. Beware of the Blues sessions because, generally speaking, it will be populated by guitarists who seem to go out of their way to always play too loudly! You won't be able to hear yourself!
Some of the people from the BR went to one, like this, in Bishops Stortford. Semiquaver and Bobby G attended once and I went with Bobby G on another occasion. The house band seemed to delight in drowning out the "stranger on the sax". Poor old Bobby nearly collapsed his lungs just trying to hear what he was doing.
I'm sure they're not all like this though!
PaulyT


They are all Jazz sessions but thanks for the warning.

_________________
cheers

Ian

Tenor: P.Mauriat PMXT 66 RUL, still choosing a mouthpiece and reed combo

dooce
15/10/08 08:28:24 AM
Re: Jamming
If you want to do the Walnut Tree at Blisworth, give me a shout - I'm only 20 minutes away - as indeed are pjonah and Taz. Must admit I had no idea they did a jam session there - and I drive past the place most days.

_________________
I live every day as if it were my last. In bed, slipping in and out of consciousness, and dribbling mashed carrot.

pete__taz_
15/10/08 10:01:11 AM
Re: Jamming
Hmmmmm... sounds like an excuse to go drinking

_________________
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Taz (A.k.a Pete, but we already got one of them) My Youtube page| |My Band

suethesax
15/10/08 5:03:10 PM
Re: Jamming
Taz wrote:
Hmmmmm... sounds like an excuse to go drinking


You need an excuse?



_________________
Yani A992
Yani SC992
Yamaha Custom YTS875


pete__taz_
15/10/08 5:04:35 PM
Re: Jamming
What are you trying to say Sue ?

_________________
It's only cool if you meant it to sound like that!

Taz (A.k.a Pete, but we already got one of them) My Youtube page| |My Band

nosaxyet
16/10/08 08:40:55 AM
Re: Jamming
dooce wrote:
If you want to do the Walnut Tree at Blisworth, give me a shout - I'm only 20 minutes away - as indeed are pjonah and Taz. Must admit I had no idea they did a jam session there - and I drive past the place most days.


Yeh, I'm up for it next Tuesday (21st) - Jazz session is the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. I don't know many 'standards', nor all my scales but what the ......

I'm also hoping to go to the 'roving' Winslow jam session on Wednesday (22nd) though they have yet to set a venue!

I did go to the Woburn session and it was great. I didn't play as I was just about to switch from alto to tenor and I wanted to see what the standard was like first - not bad - one great alto, 2 great tenors. No one as rubbish as me tho

Still, the only way is up! My job is a bit mad and I can be anywhere in the country from one day to the next and so I hope that I can do at least one or two of the four sessions across the three venues each month.

PM me your contact number and we can hook up next Tuesday.

_________________
cheers

Ian

Tenor: P.Mauriat PMXT 66 RUL, still choosing a mouthpiece and reed combo

nosaxyet
16/10/08 08:42:24 AM
Re: Jamming
Taz wrote:
Hmmmmm... sounds like an excuse to go drinking


Pete

PM me you contact number and we can hook up next week.

_________________
cheers

Ian

Tenor: P.Mauriat PMXT 66 RUL, still choosing a mouthpiece and reed combo

semiquaver
16/10/08 11:27:21 AM
Re: Jamming
[Some of the people from the BR went to one, like this, in Bishops Stortford. Semiquaver and Bobby G attended once... PaulyT
[/quoted]

Please do not remind me of this horror.

The nightmares will return.

_________________
http://myloveofmusic.blogspot.com

pete__taz_
18/10/08 9:58:01 PM
Re: Jamming
I'm quite interested in going to the Blisworth jam, possibly not this Tuesday though. Bill, Simon are either of you guys up for it, maybe some of the Northampton members may be too?

_________________
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Taz (A.k.a Pete, but we already got one of them) My Youtube page| |My Band

moz
24/10/08 9:41:42 PM
Jamming
I put some stuff on Myspace (you have to register as a musician so you can upload your own stuff) and someone contacted me to ask if I would jam with them. I was very surprised and very nervous but they are a great bunch and didn't expect me to be some sort of virtuoso. It's fun and there is always someone better than you there who can cover for your mistakes -- should you of course make any!

Do it, do it now.

Cheers

Moz

nosaxyet wrote:
I'm keen to play with some other musicians and there are three jam sessions within pretty easy reach of where I live in Milton Keynes. Has anyone attended any of these or can you suggest any alternatives please?

Winslow, Bucks Jam session

Woburn, Beds Jam session

Walnut Tress/Blisworth. Northants Jam session

TIA.


The




_________________
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

old_git
25/10/08 05:37:10 AM
Re: Jamming
The local Addiscombe W.I. are running a "Jam Session" next Tuesday afternoon. What would be the likely benefits from attending?




_________________
So it's a bum note, isn't that normal for me?

ch_boogie
31/10/08 07:22:53 AM
Re: Jamming
O.G.

I think you might get in a sticky mess!!!!

_________________
Walstein tenor 2008

mikec
01/11/08 10:05:33 AM
Re: Jamming
old git wrote:
The local Addiscombe W.I. are running a "Jam Session" next Tuesday afternoon. What would be the likely benefits from attending?





You could rescue some Damsons in Distress?

_________________
Mike Coughlin

http://www.mikecoughlin.com

Please forgive my ignorance, it's the only profound thing about me.

silver_smurfer
28/11/08 04:48:30 AM
Re: Jamming
Thanks for this thread, Ian. I'm just a couple of miles from Woburn so will check it out next session.

_________________
There are two kinds of people; those that finish their sentences and

silver_smurfer
21/12/08 05:57:58 AM
Re: Jamming
Went to Woburn last Thurs. Didn't play but may get up the courage in the new year. Seemed like a small and friendly bunch, and some talent there too.

_________________
Who DID put the bop in the bopshoowapshoowap?
Back


©2006 Pete Thomas